Friday, December 14, 2012

Undeserving

"Undeserving"

What was I to you -

some kind of punching bag
the food to your attention diet
the slight grasp of control
you might have had on life?

I am not your winter -

your puppet of distraction
the one you ignore
I can't be your shadow lover
or the catalyst to your despair

What did you think would happen -

I would run open arms
give you all I had
tell you all my secrets
forget who I am?

I think you've got me all wrong -

Cast  me away all you want
speak of me in vain
and they'll call me what I am
the one you didn't deserve to have

                               -J. Lajoie

4 comments:

  1. This one is my favourite so far. I really like the imagery of an attention diet. This was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I think that is my favorite line of it as well.

      Delete
  2. Pretty awesome. i like the way you close the poem. We should never be another person's winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always strive to have a hard hitting ending to my poetry. Also, I've always liked they way people play with words and I've entertained the idea that because people become depressed in the Winter months (seasonal depression) the word really does hit home with a lot of people. I try to make things relate-able.

      Delete