Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Twinkle twinkle

When I was a kid I imagined the earth was really someone's head. That the trees and grass were hair, bodies of water were the mouth and eyes, and the desert was bald spots. Like we were all just living on some old guys head. It isn't a stretch to say I was a weird kid. I never had an imaginary friend, but I did pretend I was Dorothy from The Wizard Of Oz, and Toto was chasing me around the yard trying to bite my ankles. I remember thinking I could control the wind when I had very strong emotions. On windy days I'd tell the wind to just blow as hard as it could until I felt better. I remember wishing I was a witch, so I could control mother nature. Ah, yes...the good old days....


                             I remember laying on the grass in my yard and looking up at the stars at night. Seeing how bright they were, I really did think they were the stars you draw on paper. I had no idea they were planets and suns... It's amazing how our imagination works when we are not tainted by society. Though I do enjoy learning, I do miss the days that I thought UFO's would come after me if my brother and sister used the flash light to send the "S.O.S." signal in the sky. How easily we can believe someone when we were kids. We had dreams of becoming astronauts, paleontologists, doctors, the president, or super heroes. Our parents or teachers would tell us we could be, if we worked really hard and stuck to our goals. Have any of us actually become what we wanted to be when we were 6? I didn't, when I realized all the boring details of becoming a paleontologist... the idea is interesting. The actual process is boring, and I would hate to be in uncomfortable weather all the time... depending on where you are looking. Now that I looked in to the things I think I will enjoy, I find myself being unable to choose my final destination. Going off track...

I think the point of me writing about being a kid is because I miss having such an active imagination. I use to make things. Writing and drawing we're my favorite things to do when I was younger. I was all for pulling out my coloring books, or when I got older, writing poetry. I don't even know where all my writing went. I even wrote a book once. Never left the computer of course, but that computer is non-existent now. I miss when I enjoyed writing and being artistic. I think my favorite classes in school were english, science, art, and wood shop. What happened? Did I get too caught up in current event? Fashion? The "in-crowd?" I hope school opens me up again, like when I was younger. So my mind can run wild with thoughts and ideas again.
  

1 comment:

  1. Wow I def started thinking back on my childhood just reading yours. I do have to say as kids we had some crazy ass imginations back than. I wonder what happened to them all.. turning anything into a game.. many different hide an seeks and tag.. coloring for me was amazing same with painting.. making forts riding my bike forever.. trying to swing as high as i could go cause i thought u could reach the sky... i believe in UFO's... damn i think we need to have our kids imgination again !

    ReplyDelete